Dr. E. Eugene Miller Legacy Scholarship
Professional Development Grant
The family of Dr. Gene Miller has created an annual scholarship fund to invest in the students of Grand Island by investing in the quality of their educators. This fund will offer a scholarship to a Grand Island Public School educator who is pursuing postgraduate level coursework to advance their professional development as a teacher, counselor or administrator. The fund will award up to $1,000.
Dr. Miller served the Grand Island Public Schools as an administrator for nearly 30 years. He spent 20 years at Grand Island Senior High, first as an Assistant Principal (1962-1964) and then as the Principal (1964-1982), after which he served as the administrator of adult education in the district’s central office (1982-1991). During his career, Dr. Miller also helped bring off-campus college courses in education to Grand Island to facilitate the professional development of local educators. In addition, he taught courses in secondary education and administration at Kearney State College (now UNK).
Dr. Miller earned his bachelor’s at York College, and his master’s and doctoral degrees at the University of Nebraska. A lifelong educator, he began his career teaching and coaching in 1950, and spent his entire professional career serving Nebraska students and educators. Dr. Miller has been recognized on both the state and national level for his leadership and innovation, and has served as President of both the State and National Association of Secondary School Principals.
April 15, 2022 - Application open
May 27, 2022 - Application closed at 4 pm
July 2022 - Award notification
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I create an account?
NOTE: Only applicants with a @gips.org email address are eligible for grants.
Before you can use the online grant application you must become a registered user. During the registration process you will choose your own username and password. If you cannot remember your user name that you have created, please contact the system administrator. DO NOT create another account. If you create a duplicate account, the Grant Committee reserves the right to disqualify your application.
Create a new account
At the login screen click To create a new application click here. DO NOT create duplicate accounts. You will be presented with a registration screen. Enter your name and email address. Choose a unique user name and a password of at least 5 characters. We recommend using the email address as your user name. If a user name is not entered, the email address will be used as your user name. Remember that the passwords are case sensitive and fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
How do I reset my password?
If you cannot remember your username or password, use the link to reset your account. DO NOT create multiple accounts or you may be disqualified from the grant application process.To reset your password you must know your username or email address used to create the account.
If you still cannot access your account contact the System Administrator at email@example.com.
Complete the Reset Password Page
Enter your email address and/or your username (you must know at least one used to create account). Click the Reset Password button. An email will be sent to your account email address with a link to reset your password.
How do I start my grant application?
Complete the Miller Legacy Guideline page and save by clicking the save diskette. Then click on the Start Application button at the bottom of the navigation menu.
Next you need to click on the Miller Legacy Application page.
What do the icons in my application mean?
A green check mark indicates that all of the required fields in a form have been completed and saved.
A yellow triangle indicates that all of the required fields in a form have been completed, but some optional fields are empty. This is only a warning and will not prevent you from submitting your document.
A red exclamation point is shown when at least one required field in a form is empty or contains an invalid entry. Your document cannot be submitted while any of its forms are incomplete. If you hover your mouse over the red exclamation point, pop-up text will list the reasons that a form is considered incomplete.
A blue save diskette is shown when there is a change to a field in the form. You must click on the diskette to save the information. The blue diskette may appear at the bottom of the screen or in the upper right of the page.
How do I know if my recommendation is complete?
Each grant application requires a recommendation from your building principal or direct supervisor. You will not be able to submit your grant application until the recommendation has been completed.
Once you enter their information in the Recommendation Information fields, your building principal/direct supervisor will receive an email with a link to your online grant application recommendation form. Once they complete the recommendation they will not be able to access your application again. The recommendation must be complete before you may submit your application. Monitor closely the progress of your recommendation. It is your responsibility to ensure your recommendation completes the form. The status of your recommendation will be displayed on the “Principal Recommendation and Signature” page next to their email address.
(Notified) - Indicates the recommendation has been sent a form link by email.
(Failed) - Indicates the recommendation email is incorrect and bounced. You must correct the email address. Once the email address has been corrected and the page saved, a new email will be sent to the updated email address.
(Completed) - Indicates the recommendation has completed the form and submitted it as complete.
How do I submit my Grant Application?
Before you can submit your application, you must complete all the required questions and your recommendation must be submitted as complete. The Submit button at the bottom of the navigation menu will be clickable when all the requirements have been completed. You will receive an email stating your application has been submitted.
If the submit button is inactive, it means something in your application is incomplete. Check your application again and complete any missing information. Once all information is complete the submit button will activate.
Your application must be submitted before the deadline to be reviewed.
How do I complete the recommendation form?
Recommendation Forms are Time-sensitive
The applicant cannot submit their application until the recommendation form is complete and submitted. Applicants are competing for grants.
- Reminder Emails: A system generated reminder email will be sent every three days until the form is completed.
- Confidential: Your response is confidential. Applicants will not be able to see your recommendation form.
Recommendation Form Access Link
Once the applicant enters the recommendation name and email into the application, the system automatically generates a recommendation request email.
- Unique Links: Each recommendation request link is unique. The link will only open the recommendation form from the application it is associated with. Multiple applicants may request a recommendation from the same person. Each request will generate an email that contains a unique link.
- Save Diskette: Click on the save diskette to save changes to fields. (navigation menu and bottom of page)
- Submit as Complete: After all the fields on the recommendation form are complete, click the save diskette and the confirmation page will appear. Click on “Submit as Complete” if you are finished. The access link will be deactivated.
- Continue Editing: If you need to exit the form before it is complete, click on the save diskette to save the changes to the fields first. On the confirmation page, click on “Continue Editing” to keep the access link activated. Click the access link in the recommendation request email to access the form again.
- Reactivate Link: If you have submitted the recommendation form as complete, but still need to edit the form, contact the system administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Complete the online application form.
Application opens April 15, 2022.
Submit application on or before May 27, 2022 at 4 pm.
Questions? Email email@example.com
- Applicants must be a certified teacher, counselor or administrator for the Grand Island Public Schools, either elementary or secondary.
- Applicants must be accepted into a graduate program at an accredited public or private Nebraska college or university.
- Applicants will require a written recommendation from their Principal/Supervisor. This recommendation will be part of the application process and will be confidential.
Essay should be limited to 500 words.
- How do you envision your academic pursuit will enhance your effectiveness as an educator and benefit the students you serve?
Applications will be reviewed by a scholarship selection committee appointed by the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation.
Terms of Payment
The scholarship will be paid through the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation directly to a Nebraska accredited college or university. The student must provide proof of enrollment to the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation.