Grand Island Concert Association - David Harris Family Scholarship
Scholarship Essay Required
1 minute audio file upload Required
This scholarship is directed to the student who intends to major or minor in music education, performance, or composition.
The melodies have danced for more than 70 years in the Harris Family. Reverend David and Jean Harris have been singing and playing music for as long as they can remember. Mrs. Harris is a nationally certified piano teacher who has blessed students with her talents since 1970 in the greater Grand Island, Nebraska area. She also accompanied the choirs at Grand Island Senior High for 20 years. Reverend Harris sings and plays music too. Church choirs, Grand Island City Singers, and La Camerata are just a few organizations who have been blessed by the songs of the Harris heart. The Harris Family offers this scholarship to encourage students to pursue music as a career.
The Harris Family Scholarship is a part of the Grand Island Concert Association Scholarships. In the spirit of encouraging musical and theatrical talent, the GICA offers scholarships annually to area students who have a plan to continue to grow and use their gifts.
Amount and Terms
- $1,000 x 1 year
Number of Scholarships
- Must be a graduate of one of the following high schools: Grand Island Senior High, Grand Island Central Catholic, Grand Island Northwest, Heartland Lutheran, St. Cecilia, Heartland Community High School, Loup City, Ord, Palmer, High Plains, Ravenna, Shelton, St. Paul, Wood River, York, Nebraska Christian, Aurora, Central City, Central Valley, Centura, Doniphan-Trumbull, Elba, Fullerton, Hampton, Hastings, or Adams Central.
- Must major or minor in music education, performance, or composition.
- Student must upload a 1 minute audio file showing proficiency in voice or instrument.
- Must attend an accredited trade school, university, or college
- Give a brief synopsis of your involvement in school and community music activities. (Max 500 words)
- What are your dreams for using your talent in music 10 years from now? Tell us how you plan to continue to develop your interest and talent. (Max 500 words)