Bob Hamblet Northwestern University Scholarship
Scholarship Essay Required
This scholarship's deadline is January 20, 2021
It’s the people in our lives that make all the difference. Some open opportunities for you that you never would have dreamed of on your own. This can be a life changing experience, all because someone believed in you. Former Grand Island High School Counselor Bob Hamblet was this caring professional that guided students to dream big. He opened many opportunities for the students under his care. Because of Mr. Hamblet’s encouragement, 1964 Grand Island High School Graduate Lanny Martin attended Northwestern University. Mr. Martin believes that this one decision and his support from Mr. Hamblet was a “game-changer” for him. He credits his success to the people that supported him along the way, particularly, his parents, his siblings and Mr. Hamblet. As an expression of appreciation, Mr. Martin is offering this four-year scholarship to Northwestern University named for his counselor Bob Hamblet. The scholarship will cover, in addition to financial aid provided by Northwestern, substantially all tuition/fees, room and board, and books, which is estimated to cost $65,000 per year for 4 years. Scholarship winners will also be required to do some part-time work during each school year. This scholarship is intended as a 'last dollar' scholarship. All other awards/aid from Northwestern/scholarships that the student receives shall be applied to the student's account first. Students who apply Early Decision have a better chance at admission.
Students may find more information about Northwestern University at the following web address: http://www.northwestern.edu/about/northwestern-at-a-glance/index.html
Amount and Terms
- Last dollar scholarship up to $65,000 x 4 years
Number of Scholarships
- Must be a graduate of Grand Island Senior High
- Must have attended Grand Island Senior High for at least two years
- Well-rounded candidates with demonstrated academic, athletic, performing arts or community service accomplishments
- Need to be admitted to Northwestern through the normal admittance procedures
- Must upload Northwestern financial aid estimate
- An ideal candidate would be one for whom Northwestern University is his/her dream school and financial considerations are a barrier to attendance.
- Tell us why you want to attend Northwestern University. (Max 500 words)