Gloria and S.N. "Bud" Wolbach Student Kindness Fund
The Gloria and S.N. "Bud" Wolbach Student Kindness Fund is a legacy of kindness from Grand Island's first "AOK Lady" Gloria Wolbach and her husband S.N. "Bud" Wolbach. Gloria and Bud spent their lives building the town of Grand Island into a 'community.' Their acts of kindness, big and small, are a source of pride for Grand Island. This fund is intended to encourage students to go forward against all odds, and give them hope and opportunity through grants that connect students to school, community, and success.
Eligibility and Purpose:
The purpose of the Gloria and S.N. "Bud" Wolbach Student Kindness Fund within the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation will be to grant a little kindness to students with physical, emotional, or educational needs, and who cannot afford opportunities or services to meet these needs. The fund is not intended to be a duplication of social service programs.
- Requests shall be made using the online Gloria and S.N. "Bud" Wolbach Student Kindness Fund Request Form
- Students must be attending a school in the Grand Island Public School District
- Students must be referred by a GIPS Staff Member and the form must be approved by the building Principal.
- The request shall be for a student's physical, emotional, or educational need, or or something that would help the student succeed in class, or connect the student to success.
- If other scholarships or opportunities exist, the student must have made an effort to acquire assistance through those sources prior to applying to the Gloria and S.N. "Bud" Wolbach Student Kindness Fund.
- The fund is not intended to be a duplication of social service programs. Social Service funds include, WIC, Medicaid, SSDI, CHIP, Third City Clinic, United Way and Utility Assistance Funds and any other government funds that would duplicate the requested services.
- Student should qualify for free or reduced lunch.
- This fund will not assist with delinquent payments or debt obligations for students or families.
- Requests not eligible for fund assistance are as follows: utilities, rent payments, mortgage payments, medical prescriptions, car insurance or homeowners insurance, home or car repairs.
- A Review Committee appointed by the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation Board of Directors will meet as necessary to review requests. The Review Committee will include a trust officer of First National Bank of Omaha as long as the Bank provides Trust Offices in Grand Island, Nebraska. The committee's decision will be final.
- Grants will be made payable to institutions, organizations, etc. on behalf of the student.
- Grants will not be paid directly to the student.
- Once the award is made, the teacher or principal who referred the student must process the request through the Foundation Office for payment, unless otherwise directed by Foundation Staff.
- Donations to the Gloria and S.N. "Bud" Wolbach Student Kindness Fund will be tax-deductible.
- Donations to the Gloria and S.N. "Bud" Wolbach Student Kindness Fund ay be made at any time by any donor.
- Per IRS guidelines, donations to the fund shall be general in nature with no specific designated recipient.
Complete the grant application and submit to the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation. Grants will be awarded throughout the year as funds are available.