Agnes Ayoub "Bab" Fund
The Agnes Ayoub “BAB” Fund is the legacy of Mrs. Agnes Ayoub, a school secretary for GIPS for 38 years, five at Howard and 33 at Walnut. Agnes gently guided new teachers, confused parents, and even principals with her sense of humor and deft organization. Her greatest asset, however, was connecting with the thousands of students who showed up at the counter in her office, all of whom she knew by name. “BAB” refers to an actual petty cash Band Aid Box she kept in the office for school emergencies, but “BAB” is also a metaphor for the countless times Agnes personally provided lunch money, a pair of shoes, a new coat, or simply a smile and a kind word for a student in need of one. The fund is intended, via school secretaries, to continue her legacy.
Eligibility and Purpose:
The purpose of the Agnes Ayoub “BAB” Fund within the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation will be to make grants to lift up individual students who have physical, emotional, or educational needs, and who cannot afford opportunities or services to meet these needs. The fund is not intended to be a duplication of social service programs.
- Requests shall be made in writing using the Agnes Ayoub "BAB" Request Form
- Students must be attending a school in the Grand Island Public School District
- Students must be referred by a GIPS Secretary and the form must be signed by the building Principal.
- The request shall be for a student's physical, emotional, or educational need, or or something that would help the student succeed in class, or connect the student to success.
- If other scholarships or opportunities exist, the student must have made an effort to acquire assistance through those sources prior to applying to the Agnes Ayoub "BAB" Fund.
- Student should qualify for free or reduced lunch. Note: This guideline can be waived if the principal/secretary is certain of the student's inability to pay due to other circumstances.
- Requests shall not be made in arrears of the event (to pay back someone or a fund).
- A Review Committee appointed by the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation Board of Directors will meet as necessary to review requests.
- The committee's decision will be final.
- Grants will be made payable to institutions, organizations, etc. on behalf of the student.
- Grants will not be paid directly to the student.
- Once the award is made, the secretary who referred the student must process the request through the Foundation Office for payment, unless otherwise directed by Foundation Staff.
A committee approved by the Foundation Board will select the recipients from the requests submitted.
- Donations to the Agnes Ayoub “BAB” Fund will be tax-deductible.
- Donations to the Agnes Ayoub “BAB” Fund may be made at any time by any donor.
- Per IRS guidelines, donations to the fund shall be general in nature with no specific designated recipient.
Complete the grant application and submit to the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation. Grants will be awarded throughout the year as funds are available.