Thank you for considering a gift to support our students, staff, and families throughout this crisis.
We are Better & Stronger Together!
The funds will be used to meet emergency needs for our students. With our GIPS Social Workers leading the way, we are currently assessing these needs.
We anticipate things such as:
- paying for internet services so kids can continue learning in the new online environment
- providing co-pays for mental health
- providing cleaning supplies to some of our families
- supporting our families who are food insecure
- and other emerging needs
COVID-19 Better & Stronger Together Fund Guideline
Background and Purpose:
The Grand Island Public Schools Foundation Board opened an Emergency Fund on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at their board meeting to respond to the rising needs of GIPS students, staff, and families during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. With bold action, the Foundation Board led the way by seeding the fund with $10,000 of their unrestricted cash reserve.
The fund will allow the GIPS Foundation to walk alongside Grand Island Public Schools and respond immediately to the needs of students, staff and families. “Because of the Foundation’s experience with meeting individual needs as well as larger scale needs in the school district, we are uniquely positioned to help our students, families, and staff,” said Kirk Ramsey, President of the GIPS Foundation Board.
- Requests shall be made in writing using the google form “GIPS Foundation Emergency Response Fund”
- Students must be attending a school in the Grand Island Public School District
- Staff members must be currently employed by GIPS or were employed by GIPS as of March 5, 2020
- Families served must have a GIPS student or staff member as part of their unit to qualify
- Referrals will be accepted from GIPS Staff including Social Workers, Counselors and other frontline personnel who work with families.
- The request shall be for a physical, emotional, or educational need, and related to hardship experienced by the COVID-19 Emergency.
- Requests will not be funded for something the district is already providing or plans to provide.
- The fund is not intended to be a duplication of services. If other opportunities are available to meet the need, those opportunities shall be pursued prior to applying to the COVID-19 Better & Stronger Together Fund.
- The fund may also support aggregate requests from the GIPS School District. Requests must meet needs of many families and be related to the COVID-19 Emergency. Examples include access to Food, Internet, unusual supplies to meet emergency needs, etc.
- The GIPS Foundation will work with other agencies, including, but not limited to the Heartland United Way and Grand Island Community Foundation to ensure that services are unduplicated and communication is open.
- A Review Committee appointed by the Grand Island Public Schools Foundation Board of Directors will meet as necessary to review requests.
- The committee’s decision will be final.
- Grants will be made payable to institutions, organizations, etc. on behalf of the recipient.
- Grants will not be paid directly to the recipient.
- Once the award is made, the Social Worker, Counselor or other Staff Member who referred the student must process the request through the Foundation Office for payment, unless otherwise directed by Foundation Staff.
Submit the google form “GIPS Foundation Emergency Response Fund.” Grants will be reviewed and decisions will be made within 72 hours. Grants will be available until funds are depleted.